Friday, August 31, 2012

Thirty Days of Truths: Day 13




Day 13: A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days. (write a letter.)

I am not one to obsess, or really rely on much other than me myself and I for comfort and such. I know what truly counts is what I create within myself, with that said I have definitely had some tough ass days, months....years... and although I can't say there was one particular band or artist that I owe my continuing presence on this Earth to...I can say that I do love music for its entertainment purposes as well as a great way to jam out when I need to get some stuff done.

I can remember a couple songs that resonate with a particular event in my life or time period of my life so I'll write a short letter to a couple that first came to mind:

Dear Blue Oyster Cult, and Chuck Berry,           (*is that an odd combination?)

I am writing this letter to express my gratitude for getting me through some tough ass times. And reminding me of those times each time I hear particular songs of yours.

Blue Oyster Cult you were almost the sole recipient of this letter, but I realized that Mr. Berry also deserved some credit for a certain song that appeared in a movie from my childhood. I will address your influence first.

A few years ago, I began what proved to be one of the most difficult years of my young life. While I am not about to say it couldn't have gotten worse, I know that is not wise, since I said it a few times that year and was proven wrong, and I am not too keen on being wrong, so I'll just leave that part out.

I lost a dear friend early on in that year. She was loved as family and knew more about me than I think I still know today. Her death impacted me greatly and I had a very difficult time accepting she was gone. My busy life at college had taken a toll on our relationship and I didn't see her as much as I should have in those years...I learned a very hard lesson.

While I was still reeling from the pains of her death another friend of mine was in a car accident and died, nearly a month after that I lost a family member, and then the next two months took two more people from my life. By the second death of that year I was fed up with crying and mad at the Universe. As well as myself. I retreated from friends and ended up not gaining many of those friendships back-

I had a cell phone and learned how to download new ringtones and ended up with quite the appropriate ringtone Mantra...

Laaa la laa la laa.

I have a flashback to that year every time I hear that song. The pain less now with the time that has passed, but the memories still strong. It was quite a blur of a year, and that song received quite a few laughs when people would hear my phone. I suppose part of the reason I chose that song was to help deal with the pain... but I think it also might have to do with my admiration of a certain SNL scene that still makes my sides hurt when I watch it:

Bruce Dickinson: I mean, really.. explore the space. I like what I'm hearing. roll it.

Haha, so yeah... Thanks Blue Oyster Cult. You rocked that song as my anthem that year!

(Now, after the reference to the Cowbell scene I might be the only person that remembers I included Chuck Berry in this letter...moving on)

So, Mr. Berry, may I call you Chuck? Chuck, that song Johnny B. Goode was, as most know, in Back to the Future, at the prom. That scene was playing on our family television during a very traumatic moment in my childhood.

I vividly remember it every time I hear that song, or watch BTTF...I was sitting on my Dad's lap and watching the movie, when my Dad, the eternal jokester, decided (I thought) to play one of his pranks on us. About the same time Marty McFly (Micheal J. Fox) saw his hand was starting to disappear, my Dad clutched his chest. I thought he was joking and doing his "Seizure" thing he used to do... when he didn't stop I knew something was terribly wrong.

A very long story short that evening ended with my Dad and Mom going to the hospital while I was in the arms of a very nice firefighter who stayed with me and my siblings until a friend of the family could arrive to watch us. I tear up now thinking about the chain of events and the worry I felt as a very young child.

I have always felt a deep connection with my Father, and not knowing if he was coming back scared me, as I'm sure it would most children.

Luckily he came home, and I still have my Daddy today...but that song reminds me of how fragile life can be, and both songs remind me to take the time to spend with those I love. We never know when they may be the last moments together in this life.

Thanks for the Memories,
Cassie

These songs/artists definitely strike up some vivid memories, and I don't think I will soon forget either episode in my life. And while I rely more on my writing and myself to pull myself through those tough ass times in life- I would like to think this all completes the task of the day. ^_^

Thanks for reading my ramblings!
<3 <3 <3 Cassie Stone
~Rolling through life to the rhythm of love...share the bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...